Courses Specifically Designed for Elementary and Middle School Students
Omaha Virtual School (OVS) uses K12's interactive and engaging curriculum with online and offline content for K–9 students. The elementary (K–5), middle (6–8), and high school (9th grade) experiences are age-appropriate and intended to deliver complex content focused on skill building and mastery.
Core Content Area Courses
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
Elective Course Offerings
Introduction to Computer Programming
- Grades K–5: This is a required “specials” course for all full-time elementary students. OVS teachers are certified in the code.org curriculum and use Code.org and various other resources for this course offering. Lessons will be taught during the face to face enrichment time and does not require work-time at home (although some students may not be able to stop coding once they start!)
- Grades 6–8: This is a full-time course offering for middle school students. This course curriculum is Creative Coding Through Games and Apps (CCGA) and was created by Microsoft and TouchDevelop. OVS teachers are certified in the CCGA curriculum. Some coursework may be completed at home.
Physical Education- Physical Education (PE) is a new course offering for K-8th grade students at OVS for the 2017-18 school year.
- Grade K-5: This is a required “specials” course for full-time elementary students that will be facilitated mostly online by a certified PE instructor. Students will work through online lessons and will complete a physical fitness chart in which they will record their physical fitness. Occasional, live online lessons may be required of students in this class, with possible opportunities for face to face instruction.
- 6-8th grade- This is a required course for full-time middle school students. PE will be facilitated mostly online by a certified PE instructor. Students will work through online lessons and will complete a physical fitness chart in which they will record their physical fitness. 7th and 8th graders will have health coursework infused. Occasional, live online lessons may be required of students in this class, with possible opportunities for face to face instruction.
Virtual Design and Innovation
- Grades K-5: This is a required “specials” for full-time elementary students and is designed to emphasize digital citizenship, basic computer operations, Office 365 applications, and technology communication tools. Students will master keyboarding skills and compose, create, edit, and format Word documents, PowerPoint Presentations, and OneNote Notebooks. Most instruction will take place during face to face time and/or during online lessons. Some work at home may be required.
- Grades 6-8: This is a required course for full-time middle school students. During this course, students will be introduced to various software resources (Office 365 and beyond) for planning and designing innovative solutions to real-world problems. Students will work through the writing process during the planning, proposal, presentation, and reflection stages of each project. While doing so, they will be practicing keyboarding and digital citizenship skills, while learning about elements and principals of design and careers related to technology, engineering, architecture, and many more. Some coursework may be completed at home.
A Dynamic, Flexible Program for Elementary and Middle School
OVS uses the K12 curriculum to great advantage for students:
- The engaging, interactive, media-rich lessons are augmented by individualized teaching and support plus a strong community to make the total experience more than the sum of its parts.
- A combination of online lessons plus outstanding offline materials (great books, art supplies, microscopes, and much more) that has more than a decade of success behind it.
- Grades K–5 are "mastery-based—meaning that at every stage students are carefully assessed, so they can take more time to master a lesson or move more rapidly through course materials and enjoy enrichment activities.
This unique model of online learning and personalized, on-site instruction helps these young learners reach their true, personal potential.
Sample Student Schedule
Interested in seeing what a typical day is like for an online student? Check out these videos:
For more information on our curriculum, please visit K12.com, or click on the links below.
9th Grade English